- What is the lithosphere?
How are its boundaries defined? On what evidence is its existence based?
- How is sea floor topography
inferred from studies of gravity over the ocean?
- Is Earth’s mantle beneath
the plates liquid or solid? Explain.
- How deep are the deepest
earthquakes at mid-ocean ridges? At transform faults? At subduction zones?
- How is the asthenosphere different from the
- What is the relation among lithosphere,
asthenosphere, oceanic crust and oceanic mantle?
- How much does temperature increase across the 100
km thick lithosphere, how much across a 100 km thick boundary layer at the
base of the mantle, how much across the rest of the mantle?
- What are the average thicknesses of the oceanic
crust, continental crust, mantle, and lithosphere?
- What is the average water depth above old oceanic
- What are the slowest and fastest well-documented
rates of present seafloor spreading? Where do they occur?
- What's the depth of a typical mid-ocean ridge
crest in the Atlantic?
- Describe the relationship between heat flow and
age of oceanic lithosphere. Be as quantitative as possible.
King-Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, P.O.Box:1946,
Dhahran 31261, Saudi Arabia,
Telephone: (966) (03) 860-1661
Fax : (966)(250) 860-2595