Energy Efficiency and Optimization,
Thermoelectric Power Generation,
Laser Machining Applications,
Non-equilibrium Energy Transport in metals and dielectrics,
Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer.
1. Co-Investigator, Engineered Dust & Water Repellant Surfaces for Solar PV & Concentrated Solar Application in Desert Environments , KFUPM – MIT Center of Excellence (MIT 11111-11112) , 2014 - 2016.
2. Principle Investigator, Thermal Performance of a Thermoelectric Generator, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), 2013 - 2015.
3. Co-Investigator, HVOC Spraying of Carbide Blended Powder on Steel Surfaces: Metallurgical Characterization and Wear Analysis , Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), 2013 - 2015.
4. Co-Investigator, Design Optimization of Thermoelectric Generators for Waste Heat Extraction ,Saudi National Satellite Technology Program (NSTIP),2014 - 2017.
5. Principle Investigator, Volumetric Solar Absorption System with Absorber Plate in Channel Flow , KFUPM – Thermoelectric Group (RG1334) , 2014 - 2017.
6. Co-Investigator, Self Cleaning PV Solar Panel Surfaces: Development and Characterization,Saudi National Satellite Technology Program (NSTIP),2014 - 2017.
7. Principle Investigator, Phonon transport across thin films in relation to thermoelectric applications , KFUPM – Thermoelectric Group(RG1301) ,65k USD, 2013 - 2016.
8. Principle Investigator, Laser treatment of pretreated H188 alloy: microstructure and wear characteristics of the surface, KFUPM Internal Funding (IN121014), 65k USD, 2013 - 2015.
9. Co-Investigator, Constructal renewable energy design of the landscape, KFUPM Internal Funding (IN111042),2012 - 2014.
10. Principle Investigator, Investigation into the performance of thermoelectric generators in relation to solar power plants, KFUPM – Thermoelectric Group, 60k USD, 2011 - 2013.
11. Co-Investigator, Surface Treatment of Ceramics, Saudi National Satellite Technology Program (NSTIP), 250k USD, 2011-2014.
12. Co-Investigator, Photovoltaic Applications for Brackish Water Purification in Saudi Arabia, Saudi National Satellite Technology Program (NSTIP) , 300k USD, 2011-2014.
13. Principle Investigator, First and second law performance analysis of thermoelectric power generator under volumetric constraint, KFUPM – Thermoelectric Group, 60k USD, 2011-2013.
14. Principle Investigator, Renewable Energy: Design Improvement for Dust Prevention from Photovoltaic modules, KFUPM – Thermoelectric Group, 200k USD, 2011-2013.
15. Principle Investigator, Micro Channel Flow for Renewable Energy Applications, KFUPM – MIT Center of Excellence, 500k USD, 2010-2014.
16. Principle Investigator, Thermoelectric Power Generator Optimization and Design, KFUPM – MIT Center of Excellence, 500k USD, 2010-2014.
17. Co-Investigator, Solar Powered Underground Water Pumping System in Saudi Arabia , Saudi National Satellite Technology Program (NSTIP) , 2010-2012.
18. Principle Investigator, Laser surface treatment of phosphorus bronze, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), 15k USD, 2011-2013.
19. Principle Investigator, Investigation into laser treatment of zirconia surface, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), 20k USD, 2011-2013.
20. Co-Investigator, Laser consecutive pulse heating influence of laser pulse parameters on melting and stress development, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), 20k USD, 2011-2012.
21. Co-Investigator, Distributed energy systems: the tapestry of multi-scale design in the globe, KFUPM Internal Funding (IN100025), 16k USD, 2011-2012.
22. Co-Investigator, Modeling and optimal placement of thermopiezoelectro-magnetic sensors/actuators, KFUPM – Thermoelectric Group, 32k USD, 2010-2012.
23. Co-Investigator, Control of flexible systems using component mode synthesis, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), 20k USD, 2009-2010.
24. Co-Investigator, A parametric study on thermal stresses in thick walled cylinders subjected to periodic moving heat source, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), 20k USD, 2009-2010.
25. Co-Investigator, Laser bending of sheet metals: metallurgical changes and stress analysis, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), 20k USD, 2009-2010.
26. Co-Investigator, Laser Welding and Efficiency Analysis, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), 20k USD, 2009-2010.
27. Principle Investigator, Laser consecutive pulse heating – Influence of laser parameters on melting and stress development, KFUPM – Fast Track Project, 15k USD, 2009-2010.
28. Principle Investigator, Surface improvement of cemented carbide cutting tool: method of laser treatment, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), 20k USD, 2008-2009.
29. Principle Investigator, Numerical and experimental investigation of thermal stress development during laser cutting of sheet metal, KFUPM – Fast Track Project, 15k USD, 2008-2009.
30. Principle Investigator, Flexural behavior of a cantilever plate during the welding process, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), 20k USD, 2007-2008.
31. Principle Investigator, Surface modification of steel by HVOF for corrosion protection in simulated concrete pore environment, Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (SABIC), 20k USD, 2007-2008.
Total of 23 Ph.D. and 58 M.Sc. students are supervised over the years. The list of few students is given below.
|Name of Student||Thesis Title||Degree Awarded||Year of Degree Granted||Current Occupation|
|Kenan Danisman||Design of High Power Fast Flow CO2 Laser||Ph.D.||1989||Professor at Erciyes University|
|Adnan Gorur||Micro wave diffraction from circular objects||Ph.D.||1992||Professor & Rector, Nigde University|
|M. Sami||Electron Kinetic Theory Approach in relation to Laser Heating||M.Sc.||1994||Technical Consultant, Fluent Inc., USA|
|S.Z. Shuja||Simulation of Three-dimensional Laser Gas-assisted Heating of Solid Substance: The Fourier Heat Conduction Approach||Ph.D.||1998||Prof. at KFUPM|
|H. Fadhli||Analysis of the Effect of Bending, Fatigue, Erosion-Corrosion, and Tensile Stresses on HVOF Coating of Metallic Surfaces||Ph.D.||2005||ARAMCO, Lead Engineer|
|A. Mustafa||Investigation of thermally induced stresses in a transition-piece in relation to an aero-derivative gas turbine engine operation.||Ph.D.||2007||Gas Turbine Specialist, ARAMCO|
|A.Y. Al-Taha||Investigation into laser re-melting of inconel 625 HVOF coating blended with WC.||Ph.D.||2009||Chief Mechanical Engineer, SABIC|
|S. Bin Mansour||Absorption of Light Waves and Energy Transport in Thin Films in Relation to Photovoltaic Applications||Ph.D.||2011||Assist. Prof. at KFUPM|
|A. Askandarani||Investigation into Coatings Produced from Nanoparticle Blended Feedstock for Rotating Equipment Repair Applications||M.Sc.||2011||Mechanical Engineer ARAMCO|
|Y. Al-Shehri||Mechanical and Metallurgical Properties of Two-Layered Diamalloy 4010 and 2002 HVOF Coating.||M.Sc.||2011||Mechanical Engineer ARAMCO|
|Osman K. Siddiqui||Performance Analysis of Solar Absorbing Fluids in Channel Flow Incorporating Selective Surfaces.||M.Sc.||2013||Ph.D. Student at KFUPM.|
Mechanical Engineering Subject Editor and Member of Editorial Board – Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering (AJSE) (ISSN 1319-8025), 2008 - Present.
Regional Editor of Middle East and North Africa - Lasers in Engineering (ISSN: 0898-1507 (print) • 1029-029X (on-line)) – 2010 – Present.
Regional Editor of Turkey, Russia and Middle East - Journal of Thermal Engineering, ISSN: 2148-7847, 2014 – Present.
Member of Editorial Board - Advances in Materials Research (AMR), An International Journal, ISSN: 2234-0912(Print), ISSN: 2234-179X(Online), 2013 - Present.
Member of Editorial Board -Advanced Materials, ISSN: 1521-4095 (Online), 2014 - Present.
Member of Editorial Board - Lasers in Manufacturing and Materials Processing, Springer, ISSN: 2196-7229 (print version) and ISSN: 2196-7237 (electronic version), 2013 – Present.
Member of Editorial Board – J. of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering (ISSN 1734-8412), 2007 - Present.
Member of Editorial Board – Int. J. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering (ISSN: 2198-2791 (electronic version), 2014 - Present.
Member of Editorial Board - International Journal of Nanomanufacturing (ISSN – 1746 – 9406 on line and ISSN 1746 – 9392 print), 2006 - 2009.
Member of Editorial Board - Archives of Materials Science and Engineering, published by Polish Academy of Sciences (ISSN 1897-2764), 2007 - Present.
Member of Editorial Review Board – Scientific Journals International (ISSN 1556-6757), published by SJI, 2006 - Present.
Member of Editorial Review Board – International Journal of Computational Materials Science and Surface Engineering (IJCMSSE) - (ISSN (Online): 1753-3473 - ISSN (Print): 1753-3465), 2008 – Present.
Member of Editorial Board - International Journal of Machine Tool and Manufacture Design, Research and Application, Pergamon Press (ISSN 0020-7357), 1990 - 2002.
Member of Editorial Board – International Journal of Subsurface Sensing Technologies and Applications (ISSN 1566-0184), 2000 - 2002.
Member of Editorial Board - Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Elsevier Publisher (ISSN 0924-0136), 2000 - 2008.