Papers in Refereed Journals
1. Gates, T.K., and Al-Zahrani, M.A., “Spatiotemporal Stochastic Open-channel Flow. I: Model and Parameter Data,” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 122, No. 11 (1996), pp. 641-651.
2. Gates, T.K., and Al-Zahrani, M.A., “Spatiotemporal Stochastic Open-channel Flow. II: Simulation Experiments,” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 122, No. 11 (1996), pp. 652-661.
3. Al-Zahrani, M., and Husain, T., “An Algorithm for Designing a Precipitation Network in South-Western Region of Saudi Arabia,” Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 205 (1998), pp. 205-216.
4. Al-Zahrani, M., and Moied, K., “Optimizing Water Quality Monitoring Stations Using Genetic Algorithm,” The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering (AJSE), Vol. 28 (2003), pp. 57-75.
5. Sadiq, R., Husain, T., Al-Zahrani, M.A., Sheikh, A.K., and Farooq, S., “Secondary Effluent Treatment by Sand Filters: Performance and Risk Analysis,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, 143 (2003), pp. 41-63.
6. Sadiq, R., Al-Zahrani, M.A., Sheikh, A.K., Husain, T., and Farooq, S., “Performance Evaluation of Slow Sand Filters Using Fuzzy Rule-based Modelling,” Environmental Modelling & Software, Vol. 19 (2004), pp. 507-515.
7. Al-Zahrani, M.A., and Syed, J. Laiq, “Hydraulic Reliability Analysis of Water Distribution System,” Journal of The Institution of Engineers Singapore (IES), 1 (2004), pp. 76-92. (www.ies.org.sg/journal)
8. Al-Zahrani, M., “Identifying Water Quality Sampling Stations in Al-Khobar Water Distribution System,” Arab Gulf Journal of Scientific Research, Vol. 22, No. 2 (2004), pp. 60-65.
9. Al-Zahrani, M., and Abid, A. “Stochastic Goal Programming Model for Optimal Blending of Desalinated Water with Groundwater,” Water Resources Management, 18(4) (2004), pp. 339-352.
10. Al-Zahrani, M., and Laiq, J., “Evaluation of Municipal Water Distribution System Reliability Using Minimum Cut-set Method,” Journal of King Saud University, Vol. 18, Eng. Sci. (1), (2005), pp. 67-82.
11. Al-Zahrani, M.A, Nesaratnam, S.T, Essa, M.H. “Preparation of phosphoric acid-activated carbon using palm date pits: physio-chemical and adsorptive properties”, the journal of the institution of engineers, Singapore, vol. 46 (2), (2005), pp. 24-41.
12. Essa, M.H, Al-Zahrani, M.A. “Date pits as potential raw materials for the production of active carbons in Saudi Arabia, International Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences, 4(1), (2009), 47-58.
13. Shakhawat Chowdhury and Muhammad Al-Zahrani. “Implications of climate change on water resources in Saudi Arabia,” The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering (AJSE), Vol. 38(8) (2013), 1959-1971.
14. Al-Zahrani, M. "Modelling and simulation of water distribution system: a case study", Arab J Sci Eng (AJSE), 39(3), (2014), 1621-1636.
15. Shakhawat Chowdhury and Muhammad Al-Zahrani. “Reuse of treated wastewater in Saudi Arabia: an assessment framework,” Journal of Water Reuse and Desalination (JWRD), (2013), 297-314.
16. Shakhawat Chowdhury and Muhammad Al-Zahrani. “Characterizing water resources and trends of sector wise water consumptions in Saudi Arabia,” Journal of King Saud University, (2013), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jksues.2013.02.002.
17. Furl, Chad, H. O. Sharif, M. Alzahrani. A. Elhassan, and N. Mazari. “Precipitation Amount and Intensity Trends Across Southwest Saudi Arabia.” J. of American Water Resources Association, 50(1), (2014), 74-82.
18. Essa, M.H., Al-Zahrani, M.A. and Nesaratnam, S. “Optimization of activated carbon production from date pits”, Int. J. Environment Engineering, 5(3), (2013), 325-338.
19. Amin, A. and Al-Zahrani, M. "Estimation of rainfall distribution for the south-western region of Saudi Arabia", Hydrological Science Journal, 59(2), (2014), 420-431.
20. Shakhawat Chowdhury and Muhammad Al-Zahrani. “Fuzzy synthesis of treated wastewater reuse for agriculture,” Environment, Development and Sustainability, 16(3), (2014), 521-538.
21. Shakhawat Chowdhury Muhammad Al-Zahrani and Abdullah Abbas. “Implications of climate change on crop water requirements in arid region: an example of Al-Jouf, Saudi Arabia”, Journal of King Saud University, (2013), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jksues.2013.11.001.
22. Shakhawat Chowdhury and Muhammad Al-Zahrani. “Water quality change in dam reservoir and shallow aquifer: analysis on trend, seasonal variability and data reduction,” Environ Monit Assess, (2014), 1-17.
23. Shakhawat Chowdhury and Muhammad Al-Zahrani. “Modeling heterotrophic bacteria in plumbing system of drinking water,” Water Environment Research, 86(6), (2014), 504-512.
24. Al-Zahrani, M. and Moied, K. "Identifying water monitoring stations in water supply system", Water Science & Technology: Water Supply, (2014), Doi:10.2166/ws.2014.069, 2014.
Papers in Conference Proceedings
1. Gates, T.K., and Al-Zahrani, M.A., “Field Data on Parameters of Stochastic Open-channel Flow,” Proceedings of the 1st Int.Conf. on Water Resources Engineering, ASCE, San Antonio, Texas, (1995), pp. 603-607.
2. Gates, T.K., and Al‑Zahrani, M., “Spatiotemporal Stochastic Open‑channel Flow,” Proceedings of the ASCE North American Water and Environment Congress, Anaheim, California, (1996), pp. 346-351.
3. Al-Zahrani, M., Shareef, M., and Husain, T., “Water Resources Planning Under Uncertainties,” The Fourth Gulf Water Conference, Bahrain, (1999), pp. 77-92.
4. Al-Tawabini, B., and Al-Zahrani, M., “Forecasting Domestic Water Consumption Using Time Series Model,” in Arabic, First Water Conference, organized by the Ministry of Agriculture & Water, (2000).
5. Al-Zahrani, M., and Moied, K., “Locating Optimum Water Quality Monitoring Stations in Water Distribution System,” World Water & Environ. Resources Congress, EWRI, Orlando, Florida, May 20-24, (2001).
6. Ismail, A.M., Ahmad, S., and Al-Zahrani, M., “Statutory Regulations for Water Conservation and Water Reuse,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Water Resources Management in Arid Regions (WaRMAR), Kuwait, March 23-27, (2002), pp. 71-82.
7. Al-Zahrani M., and Syed, J. Laiq, “Reliability Analysis of Water Distribution System”, ASEAN Australian Engineering Congress 2004 (AAEC 2004), Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia, May 26-28, (2004).
8. Al-Zahrani, M.A., “Uncertainty in Water Distribution System Modeling,” Al-Azhar Engineering Eighth International Conference, Cairo, Egypt, December 24-27, (2004).
9. Essa, M.H., Al-Zahrani, M.A., and Nesaratnam, S., “A Step Towards National Reliance Using Locally Produced Activated Carbon from Dates,” Third Saudi Technical Conference and Exhibition (STCEX-3), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, (2004).
10. Essa, M.H., Al-Zahrani, M.A., Nesaratnam, S. (2004), Investigation on the adsorption characteristics of activated carbon from date pits, accepted and presented in Al-Azhar Engineering Eighth Int. Conf., Dec. 24-27, Cairo, Egypt.
11. MuhituRahman Mohammed, Al-Zahrani, M.A, and Essa, M.H. (2008), Water quality Factors of Storm Runoff at Two watersheds in Saudi Arabia: A comparative Evaluation, the 3rd International Conference for Water Resources and Arid Environment 2008, Riyadh 16-19 November.
12. Al-Zahrani, M. and Akhtar, N. (2008), "Optimal scheduling of chlorine in water distribution network", Proceeding of the 7th Saudi Engineering Conference, Riyadh 16-19 November.
13. Essa, M.H, Al-Zahrani Mohammed (2009), Reuse of wastewater for industrial demands: a petrochemical industry case, accepted for presentation at the WHSC-2009 conference at IIT Kanpur, India, 23-25 November 2009.
14. M.S. Vohra, M.A. Al-Zahrani, M.H., Essa (2010), Granular activated carbon from date palm tree branches: Production & Use, 4th Saudi Science Conference, Al-Medina Al-Munawara, 12-16 March 2010.
15. Vohra, M.S; Al-Zahrani, Muhammad, Essa, M.H. (2010), 'Synthetic industrial wastewater treatment using GAC produced from date palm tree branches' , presented at the 8th International Conference and Exhibition on Chemistry in Industry (CHEMINDIX 2010), 18-20 October, Bahrain.
16. H. O. Sharif, Chad Furl, and M. Al-Zahrani, "Rainfall Climatology over Asir Region, Saudi Arabia", presented at the 2012 European Geosciences Union Meeting, Vienna, Austria, April, 2012
17. Amin, A. and Al-Zahrani, M. (2012), “Domestic water forecasting using artificial neural networks”, The 26th Arab Water Conference, Jeddah 7-9 January.
18. Shakhawat Chowdhury and Muhammad Al-Zahrani, “Water resources and water consumption pattern in Saudi Arabia,” WASTA 10th Gulf Water Conference, Doha, Qatar, April 22-24, 2012.
19. Muhammad Al-Zahrani, “Effect of parameter uncertainty on water distribution systems modelling”, Second International Conference on Vulnerability and Risk Analysis and Management (ICVRAM2014), University of Liverpool, UK, 13 – 16 July, 2014, pp 1596-1604.
20. Chowdhury S., Al-Zahrani M. and Abbas A., 2014. Analyzing the Effects of Climate Change on Crop Water Requirements in Saudi Arabia. The WSTA 11th Gulf Water Conference, Oct 20-22, 2014.
21. Chowdhury S., and Muhammad Al-Zahrani, 2014. Water resources in agriculture: sensitivity analysis for climate change and growing seasons. The 6th International Conference on Water Resources and Arid Environments (ICWRAE 6), December 1-4, 2014.