Position, Distance and Displacement
A super racing car is at rest at t=0 at x = -52 m.
Please wait for the animation to
Pres the "Play" button to make the car move. You can use the VCR
buttons "pause", step>>" and "<<step" to
pause, step forward and step backward. "reset animation" to start over
again. You can read the time and the x-coordinate at any point by pausing the
Answer the following questions about the motion of this racing car:
- What is the distance traveled by the car from start (t=0) to finish
- What is the displacement of the car from start to finish?
- What is the position of the car at t= 6.8s?
- What is the position of the car at t= 7.7 s?
- What is the distance the car travels from t = 6.8 s to t = 7.7 s?
- What is the displacement of the car from t = 6.8 s to t = 7.7 s?
- What is the displacement of the car from t = 5.0 s to t = 9.2 s?
- Can displacement be negative?