9 KEYS TO EFFECTIVE LISTENING
1. Listen for things you can use.
2. Judge the message, not the messenger.
3. Listen for feelings behind the facts.
4. Wait until the speaker finishes.
5. Resist psychological barriers.
6. Resist physical distractions.
7. Take notes and ask questions.
8. Exercise your mind.
9.Be Aware, to Avoid
1. Always asks himself, “what can I learn/use?”
2. He is aware of bias and prevents himself from it. Always judges the message.
3. Always listens to both the facts and feelings.
4. Always waits until the speaker finishes and use # 1 and 2 above.
5. Always keeps himself alert and aware of understanding and learning. He is not easily distracted by barriers.
6. Does not allow sound to distract or interrupt his listening. Finds a quiet area and concentrates on what is being said.
7. Takes few notes, only writes key words and phrases. Goes back immediately afterward and fills in the details.
8. Listens for main ideas and what he can use. Anticipates the next point and relates information to personal experience and knowledge.
9. Makes sure to remember that the power of his mind can create a barrier to effective listening. He is Aware, then Avoids the problem.
1. Always cuts out info he dislikes.
2. Always ignores the message, judges the messenger. If he thinks the speaker’s image is poor or he has some other bias.
3. Always listens only to the words and ignores the emotions of the speaker.
4. Usually starts to respond before the speaker finishes. He preplans most of the time.
5. Lets words or ideas become barriers to learning and understanding. Wanders or daydreams. He is easily distracted.
6. Lets sound distract and interrupt his listening.
7. Takes too many notes in detail, writing all words and misses the total message from the speaker.
8. Shuts his mind to difficult information because he does not listen for what he can use. Does not related information to his personal experience or knowledge and does not visualize the points.
9. Does not remain aware to avoid.