9 KEYS TO EFFECTIVE LISTENING
KEYS BAD LISTENER GOOD LISTENER
1. Listen for things you can use. Always cuts out info he dislikes. Always asks himself, “what can I learn/use?”
2. Judge the message, not the
messenger. Always ignores the message if he Always judges the message. He is aware
thinks the speaker’s image is poor of bias and prevents himself from it.
or he has some other bias.
3. Listen for feelings behind
the facts. Always listens only to the words Always listens to both the facts and feelings.
and ignores the emotions of the
4. Wait until the speaker
finishes. Usually starts to respond before the Always waits until the speaker finishes and
speaker finishes. He preplans most of uses #1, 2 above.
5. Resist psychological barriers. Lets words or ideas become barriers to Always keeps himself alert and aware of understanding and learning. Wanders or psychological barriers. He is not easily
daydreams. He is easily distracted by his distracted, because he concentrates on
own thoughts/biases. what is being said.
6. Resist physical distractions. Lets sounds distract and people Does not allow sound to distract or
interrupt his listening. people to interrupt him. Finds a quiet area
and concentrates on what is being said.
7. Take notes and ask questions. Takes too many notes in detail Take few notes, only key words and phrases.
writing all words and misses the total Afterward he fills in the details.
verbal message from the speaker.
8. Exercise your mind. Shuts his mind to difficult information, Listens for main ideas and visualizes points.
because he does not listen for main ideas, Anticipates the next point. Relates information
does not visualize points and relate them to personal experience and knowledge.
to his experience/knowledge.