Dr. Luai M. Al-Hadhrami
Organized the following Workshops:
1. Workshop on “Heat Engine Laboratory”, 19-22 June 2004.
2. Workshop on “Power Quality”, 13 December 2006, KFUPM.
3. 1st Workshop on “Electrical Energy Conservation in Household Equipment and the Role of Energy Label” in January 2007.
4. 1st Workshop on “Concrete Deterioration and Its Prevention” in 28 February 2007.
5. Workshop entitled “Towards Establishing a Central High Voltage Laboratory in Saudi Arabia” in 7 March 2007.
6. “First Saudi-French Workshop on Civil Engineering in Petroleum Infrastructure and Facilities: Simulation, Modeling and Materials” in 26-27 March 2007.
7. “2nd Workshop on “Electrical Energy Conservation in Household Equipment and the Role of Energy Label” in 9 May 2007.
8. Workshop on “Electrical Energy Conservation: National Responsibility” in 16 June 2007.
9. “2nd Workshop on Concrete Deterioration and its Prevention" KFUPM, November 7, 2007.
10. “Saudi-Japanese Workshop on Energy Conservation in Buildings and Industries”, KFUPM, January 30, 2008.
11. “Workshop on the Future of Clean Energy in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia”, KFUPM, May 18-19, 2008.
12. Workshop on Application of X-ray Diffraction and Fluorescence in Industry and Research, 09-10 November 2008.
13. 3rd Workshop on “Concrete Deterioration and Its Prevention” in February 11 2009.
14. Workshop Towards Establishment of Center of Research Excellence in Corrosion, 03-04 March. 2009.
1. “Heat Transfer in a Channel with Inclined Target Surface Cooled by Single Array of Impinging Jets,” ASME Turbo-Expo Conference, Montreal, Canada, 14-17 May 2007.
2. “Design and Operation of a Fouling Monitoring Device,” International Conference on Heat Exchanger Fouling and Cleaning VII”, Tomar, Portugal., 1-6 July, 2007.
3. “Effect of orifice jet configuration on heat transfer characteristics in a channel with inclined target surface cooled by single array of impinging jets with outflow parallel to entry flow,” International Gas Turbine Congress (IGTC’07), Tokyo, Japan, 14-2-7 December 2007.
4. “Effect of Feeding Channel Aspect Ratio and Orifice Jet Configuration on Heat Transfer in a Rectangular Channel”, 2nd International Conference on Thermal Engineering Theory and Applications”, Al-Ain, U.A.E., 3-6 January, 2006.
5. “Effect of Feed Channel Width on Heat Transfer in a Rectangular Duct with an array of Off-set Jets”, ASME Turbo Expo 2006 Power for Land, Sea, and Air”, Barcelona, Spain. 8-11 May 2006.
6. “Heat Transfer in Two-pass Rectangular Channels (AR=2) with different orientations of broken V-shaped rib turbulators”, 4th European Thermal Sciences Conference, Birmingham, UK, 29-31 March 2004.
7. “Effect of orifice jet configuration on heat transfer in a channel with inclined target surface cooled by single array of impinging jets with outflow in both directions”, ASME Micro-scale Heat Transfer International Conference (MNHT’08), Taiwan, 6-9 January 2008.
8. “Numerical Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer Prediction of Rotating Tapered Channel”, International Conference on Computational Heat and Mass Transfer, Canmore, Canada, 18-22 June 2007.
9. “Study of Fouling Rate in Twisted Tube,” ITherm 2008: Eleventh Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems”, Hilton Walt Disney World Resort, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA, May 28-31, 2008
10. “On the Service Performance of Refurbished Turbine Blades in a Power Station,” “TURBO EXPO 2008 CONFERENCE”, Estrel Berlin Hotel & Convention Center, Berlin, Germany, June 9-13, 2008.
11. “Presentation about Mechanical Engineering Activates at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals”, Dept, Energetique industrielle – Ecole des Mines de Douai, France, 19 May 2005
12. “Numerical Investigation of New Design of Impingement Baffle Plate”, Stationary Equipment Technical Exchange Meeting, ARAMCO, Dhahran, 22 December 2004
13. “Application of Infrared Camera to inspect Electrical Components”, Consulting Services Department, ARAMCO, Dhahran, 15 July 2004.
14. “Infrared Applications”, Consulting Services Department, Gifted Student Program at KFUPM, Dhahran, and 15 July 2004.
- Attended Conference, “International Conference on Power Engineering-03”, Kobe, Japan 9-13 November 2003 (also visited Mitsubishi Manufacturing facility).
- Attended short course titled “Micro-scale Heat Transfer Fundamentals and Applications in Biological and Micro-Electromechanical Systems”, CESME-IZMIR, Turkey, and 18-30 July 2004.
- Attended “Thermography level #1 course”, 15-19 May 2004, Khobar
- Attended short course titled “Introduction to Fired Heaters”, June 2005, Aramco.
- Attended short course offered by National Instrument “Introduction to Lab View Programming”, February 2005, ME Department..
- Attended Workshop “University Level Skills”, KFUPM, 7-9 JULY 2005.
- Attended short course “Cost Engineering”, Cranfield University, Cranfield Bedfordshire, UK, 07-09 April 2008.
- Attended short course “Introduction to Cost Engineering in Oil & Gas Sector ”, Cranfield University, Cranfield Bedfordshire, UK, 09-11 April 2008.
· Contract Signed with ECRA: As Director of the Center for Engineering Research, organized a signing ceremony on March 8, 2006 of a joint research program between the Electricity Cogeneration Regulatory Authority (ECRA) Riyadh and King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (KFUPM). The agreement was signed by H.E. Dr. Khaled S. Al-Sultan, Rector of the University, and H.E. Dr. Fareed M. Zedan, Governor of ECRA. The main objective of the agreement was to establish a joint research program in the areas related to electricity generation.
· Contract Signed with SABIC: As Director of the Center for Engineering Research, organized a signing ceremony of a contract between SABIC, Al-Jubail and KFUPM on April 17, 2006. H.E. Dr. Khaled S. Al-Sultan, Rector of the University and Engineer Mansour Saleh Al-Kharbush, Vice President for Shared Services signed the contract on behalf of KFUPM and SABIC. The objective of the agreement was that KFUPM would perform specified engineering and consulting services on an “on-call” basis.
· Energy Engineer Award: Received the Dubai Quality Group Energy Engineer Award for the year 2007 from HH Shaikh Mohamed bin Rashid AI-Maktoum, Vice President of UAE and Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, in a ceremony held in Dubai on September 5, 2007, for the contributions in promoting the principles in energy conservation and management.
· Project Award for Wind Energy Research: The Center’s project on wind energy for remote villages received the Best Energy Project Award of the Emirates Energy Award Committee for the year 2007. I received the award on behalf of the University from HH. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid AI-Maktoum, Vice-President of UAE and Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai in a ceremony held in Dubai on September 5, 2007.
· Patent: U.S. Patent No. CSE 0065 “Minimizing Fouling and Corrosion in Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger”, Approved but pending issuance (2006-07).
· Reviewed about five journal papers.
· Reviewed several technical proposals and KACST proposals.
1. Consultant, “Consulting Service Department”, Aramco, 1 July to 27 August 2003.
2. Consultant, “Consulting Service Department”, Aramco, 12 June 2004 to 18 August 2004.
3. Consultant, “Consulting Service Department”, Aramco, 18 June 2005 to 17 August 2005.
4. Visiting Researcher, “Summer Assignment”, School of Engineering Cranfield University, United Kingdom, 28 June 2007 to 31 August 2007.
5. Visiting Researcher, “Summer Assignment”, School of Engineering Cranfield University, United Kingdom, 29 June 2008 to 1st August 2008.
· Chairman of Saudi Society of Mechanical Engineers (2004-05).
· Chairman of ASME Society (2004-05).
· Chairman of Saudi Society of Mechanical Engineers (2005-06).
· Chairman of ASME Society (2005-06).
· Member, Advisory Board for advanced material in KACST, Riyadh (2006-07)
· Member, Advisory Board for advanced material in KAST, Riyadh (2007-08)
· Member, Health & Environment Committee (2002-03)
· Member, Health of Potable and non-potable water in University campus (2002-03).
· Member, Lectures management committee.(2002-03).
· Chairman, Children environmental awareness campaign (2002-03).
· Chairman, Fuel Replacement from Diesel to natural gas for boiler units in building #1 to reduce pollution.(2002-03).
· Member, Text Book Committee (2003-04).
· Member, Text Book Committee (2004-05).
· Chairman, Receiving Committee for UV-Oxidation Plant in CAL/CEW formed by Supervisor, Financial & Admin. Affairs – KFUPM.
· Member, KFUPM-Saudi Aramco Downstream R&D Strategic Partnership (2007-08).
· Chairman, Mechanical Engineering Student Club (2004-05)
· Member, M.E. Student Affairs Committee (2004-05)
· Member of M.E. Research/Industrial Relations Committee (2004-05)
· Member, M.E. Graduate/Doctoral Committee (2003-04)
· Member, M.E. Research & Industrial Relations (2003-04)
· Member, M.E. Student Affairs Committee (2003-04)
· Member, M.E. Graduate/Doctoral Committee (2004-05)
· Chairman, Mechanical Engineering Student Club (2005-06)
· Member, M.E. Student Affairs Committee (2005-06)
· Member, Research Institute Personnel Committee (2005-06).
· Member, Policy and Planning Committee (2005-06)
· Member, RI Council (2005-06).
· Member, Ad hoc committee to review the National Scientific Research Plan (2005-06)
· Chairman, Ad hoc committee to review KFUPM capabilities for corrosion research.
· Member, Research Institute Personnel Committee (2006-07).
· Member, Policy and Planning Committee (2006-07).
· Member, RI Council (2006-07)
· Chairman, Ad hoc committee to study the issue of compensation to the researchers involved in scientific research projects, KACST projects and teaching activities.
· Member, Sub-Committee to study the issue of compensation to center directors for their administrative and technical responsibilities
· Member, Research Institute Personnel Committee (2007-08)
· Member, Policy and Planning Committee (2007-08)
· Member, RI Council (2007-08)
· Chairman, Equipment Selection Committee (2007-08).
Serving the society is the primary role of an academician. I have contributed to many tasks and events related to education inside and outside KFUPM. Some of these services included the following:
Participation in Short Courses: I have taught several short courses. These courses have been well attended and appreciated. (Titles of courses are provided in Section 2.7).
Public Seminars: Several technical seminars were presented by me in different cities of Saudi Arabia and at KFUPM. Also, I presented technical papers in some local and International Conferences (see Sections 2.8 & 4.2 for details).
Consultation: My research involvement can be considered in part as a consultation activity to resolve/clarify some existing problems in Saudi Arabia’s perspective.
Societies: I am also actively engaged with several organizations to serve the society (see Section 1.5).
· Conducted contacts and meetings with several potential clients (Saudi ARAMCO, SABIC, HADEED, KACST, and Royal Commission, Saudi Electricity Company, etc.) to discuss possible research projects. Also kept positive relationship with all the clients
· Evaluated the College of Engineering Sciences Innovation Grant Scheme (IGS 06) Final Report in April 2006.
· Upon invitation from Saudi Council of Engineers, Eastern Province, participated in the 10th Gulf Engineering Forum.
· Attended a Workshop on “How to be effective University teacher”, 7-9 September 2002.
· Attended a Workshop on “Experience-sharing in Developing Online Courses”, 3-6 June 2003.
· Attended a Workshop on “The 6th Saudi Engineering Conference”, 14-17 December 2002.
· Attended a exhibition “GITEX 2002”, 14-17 December 2002.
· Attended International Conference on Power Generation-03, Kobe, Japan, 9-12 November 2003.
· Attended a Workshop on NATO Advanced Study Institute on Microscale Heat Transfer Fundamentals and Applications in Biological and Micro-electro-mechanical Systems, Cesme, Turkey, 18-31 July 2004.
· Attended Workshop “Critical Thinking”, 7-10 September 2003, KFUPM.
· Attended Workshop “Concrete Development for Web-Based Courses Using Autherware”, 15-19 February 2004, KFUPM.
· Attended Conference “The First Competition for Mechanical Engineering Graduate Projects”, 4-5 December 2004, Kuwait.
· Attended Workshop “Content Development for Web-Based Courses Using A”, 4-5 December 2004, Kuwait.
· As Director of Center for Engineering Research held a meeting with National Telecommunications Company Limited (NATEL) on February 2006, to discuss matters of mutual interest.
· As Director of Center for Engineering Research had a meeting with R&D Department of National Titanium Dioxide Company Ltd. (CRISTAL) at Uanbu, to apprise research activities of the center.
· As Director of Center for Engineering Research, attended the Pipelines Simulation Round Table meeting in process & control system department of Saudi Aramco on 18 September 2006. The objective of this roundtable meeting was to share information on technology trends and experience from recently executed projects and engineering studies.
· As Director of Center for Engineering Research, visited U.K. to discuss corrosion related problems of material used in aerospace applications (for possible future collaborative work.
· As Director of Center for Engineering Research, visited JEOL facility, Japan, to discuss possibility of holding a joint workshop at KFUPM in materials science area.
· As Director of Center for Engineering Research, visited FEI application Labs in Netherlands FBI application. Also visited Panalytical Labs (global leader in manufacturing of X-ray based analytical instruments. The purpose of the visit was to further equip materials characterization labs.
· As Director of Center for Engineering Research, attended a meeting in Saudi Aramco (committee appointed by H.E. Rector and had discussions regarding new gasoline.