V I T A
Name : DR. MUBARAK AL-BURAIK AL-GHAMDI
Age : (55-60?) Precisely unknown?! No birth certificate to show it!
Nationality : Saudi citizen
Social Status : Married
Rank : Assistant Professor
I. EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND
1. Ph. D. in Labor Economics, Monetary Economics, Natural Resources/
Environmental Economics from
2. M.A. in Environmental/Energy Economics
3. M.S. in Urban Economics and Transportation Economics from University
4. B.S. in Economics and Political Science
AREAS OF INTERESTS:
Human Resource Economics (Human Capital)
II. TEACHING EXPERIENCE AT KFUPM:
1. Undergraduate Level: Taught different Economics courses such as Microeconomics (101), Macroeconomics (202); Managerial Economics (401), Engineering Economics (403), Intermediate Microeconomics (301), Money & Banking (305), and others.
2. Graduate Level: Taught MBA Economics Core Courses: Advanced Micro and Macro-economic Theories (501), and Advanced Managerial Economics (510), both of these two advanced courses for (4) consecutive academic years (1991-1995).
3. Graduate Projects: Supervised many computer-oriented projects undertaken by Graduate Students as part of their MBA course requirements during four years.
4. Undergraduate Projects: Supervised and directed several coop projects undertaken by graduating senior students as part of their Degree requirements.
III. OTHER INSTITUTIONS AT WHICH I HAVE TAUGHT:
h Al-Hossan Institute,
Dammam, KSA. I
taught several courses in economics such as global economics, principles of
economics, financial management (undergraduate), international business law and
its environment, and managerial economics (both graduate courses). These courses were extension courses for BA
and MBA degrees through
A. Published Work: In collaboration with Dr. M.A. Choudhury and Dr. Y.
Umar, we co-authored three papers as follows:
1) The first was entitled “Political Economy of Infant Industry
Protection in the Context of Globalization: A Case for Structural
Change” which has been included as Chapter 8 in a book of
readings entitled Political Economy of Structural transformation
2) The second paper is a modified version of the one stated in (1)
above and entitled “Ummatic Globalization Versus Neoclassical
Capitalist Globalization: Formalism and Application,” published
recently in the Review of Islamic Economics, No. 12
3) The third paper is also an extended different version of the first
one above and entitled “Political economy of Infant Industry
Protection in the Context of Globalization: The Case of Saudi
Finance & Economics, CIM, KFUPM.
B. Completed Research Work under Review for Publication and /
1) A paper co-authored by myself and Dr. Salem Al-Ghamdi,
entitled “An Empirical Study of the Attitudes of the Saudia
Employees about the Prospects of its Privatization,” which is
submitted for presentation and publication at the Second
Conference on Administrative Sciences: Meeting the
Challenges of the Globalization Age, to be held on April
C. Research Work in Progress:
1) Comparative Study of Economic Development in the Light of
Petroleum-related Sectoral Linkages Diversification: The
investigators led by Dr. M. A. Choudhury).
2) Determinants of Foreign Labor Composition in Saudi Labor
V. OTHER RELATED CONTRIBUTIONS:
h Reviewed several research proposals in Arabic and English undertaken by faculty members of KAAU (1988).
h Participated in an economic investigation (in Arabic) published in “AL-IKTISAD” monthly magazine (May 1991).
h Designed a tentative Master’s Degree proposal in Economics (1992).
h Participated in designing a Master’s Program in Finance (MSF) with Dr. Anthony Herbst, an American Visiting Professor in Finance & Economics (1991-1992).
h Participated in short courses for Saudi Aramco employees entitled:
h “CMA Exam Review Course” (1994/1st Sem.)
h “CMA Exam Review Course” (1995/1st Sem.)
h “CMA Exam Review Course” (1995/2nd Sem.)
h “CMA Exam Review Course” (1996/2nd Sem.)
h “CMA Exam Review Course” (1997/2nd Sem.)
h “CMA Exam Review Course” (1998/1st Sem.)
h “CMA Exam Review Course” (1999/2nd Sem.)
h “CMA Exam Review Course” (2000/2nd Sem.)
h “CIA Exam Review Course” (2003/2nd Sem)
h “CIA Exam Review Course” (2003/2nd Sem)
h Reviewed and evaluated two (2) research papers by two faculty members at KAAU (Dec. 1997).
h Worked as a liaison between CIM and British Educational Council (1991-1992).
h Revised and re-wrote a proposal for establishing a Chair in Energy Economics (November 1998).
h Created topical outlines for some Finance and Economics courses (March 1998).
h Worked as Chairman for an Ad Hoc Committee: to develop “Advising Handbooks” (in Arabic & English for students and faculty members [1996-1997]).
h I gave several lectures and consultations to several graduate students at Al-Hossan Institute in Dammam, March/April, 2000.
h Reviewed and evaluated the following research proposals sent to me by KACST:
1) “The Economic and Social Effects of Unemployment in the Saudi Society”, in May, 2000.
2) “Allocation of Jobs in the Trade Sector in
3) “Money Laundering in
4) A big technical report entitled “The Technical Report: Part One”—an empirical estimation, [in Arabic], finished (June 2003).
h Reviewed and evaluated a big educational project proposed by KFUPM which is entitled “B.Sc. with Diploma in Education” which is intended for KFUPM graduates as prospective teachers in the public school system of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
h Reviewed and evaluated a manuscript titled: “Productivity Growth and its Effect on Production System,” submitted
to the upcoming Second Conference on Administrative
Sciences , to be held on
h Reviewed and evaluated another
manuscript titled: “Privatization Problem,” submitted to the
upcoming Second Conference on Administrative
Sciences, to be held on
h Worked as a “Loan Counselor” in Home Ownership Division in Aramco (1961-1964).
h Worked as a “Field Representative” with Aramco (1964-1967).
h Joined KFUPM in 1973 to the present.
VII. COMMITTEES IN WHICH I HAVE BEEN ACTIVE:
I have been either an active member or Chairman in the following committees at the University and College (CIM) levels:
1. Personnel Affairs Committee (1988-1989)
2. Publications Review Committee (1990-1993)
3. Textbooks Committee (1990-1991, 1993-1998)
4. Faculty Screening Committee (1990-1998)
5. Ad Hoc Committee for Translating the (2nd Sem. 1991)
Finance Major Program into Arabic (Chairman)
6. Ad Hoc Committee for Evaluation of: (2nd Sem. 1991)
(1) Best Teacher Award Nominee, and
(2) Best Advisor Award Nominee
7. Bids Opening Committee (1992-1993)
8. Continuing Education Committee (1992-1993)
9. Ad Hoc Committee (on MBA) Revision (2nd Sem. 1997-1998)
Input and Updating Fin & Econ courses
10. Ad Hoc Committee (for developing (1992-1993)
Arabic & English brochures) for the
Fin & Econ Dept.
11. Re-admission & Academic Evaluation (1993-1994)
12. Curriculum Committee (1993-1994)
13. Promotions Committee (1993-1994)
14. Ad Hoc Committee/formed by the Vice Rector, (1996-1997)
1996 for developing two (2) Advising
Handbooks (in Arabic and English) for
Students and faculty members; they were
Completed and submitted to the Vice Rector
15. Textbooks Committee (1998-1999)
16. Faculty Screening Committee (1998-1999)
17. Research/Seminar Promotion Committee (1998-1999)
18. Economics Courses Waiver Committee (Chairman) (1998-1999)
19. “Training & Saudiization National Plan” (1997-1999)
Committee, formed by HE The Rector
Of KFUPM, as decreed by HRH Prince
Naif Ibn Abdul-Aziz, Minister of Interior
20. Faculty Screening Committee (1999-2000)
21. Economics Courses Waiver Committee (Chairman) (1999-2000)
22. Economics Courses Waiver Committee (Chairman) (2000-2001)
23. Faculty Screening Committee (Member) (2000-2001)
24. Economics Courses Waiver Committee (Chairman) (2001-2002)
25. Faculty Screening Committee (Member) (2001-2002)
26. Textbook Committee (Member) (2002-2003)
27. Curriculum Committee (Member) (2002-2003)
28. Chairman of Ad Hoc Committee, appointed by the (Nov. 2002)
Chairman of Fin & Econ Dept., to review and study
The requirement for re-admission of old students.
VIII. AWARDS FOR RECOGNITION OF MY SERVICES AT KFUPM:
- “Distinguished Student Advising Award” (1992)
- “Certificate of Recognition for Distinction” (1992)
in Academic Advising
- “20 Year’s Service Award with KFUPM (1993)
- “30 Years Service Award with KFUPM (2003)
- Letter of thanks and congratulations by our Dean of CIM, Dr. Aref Al Ashban, in recognition of my efforts for recent publications and service for our College (September 17, 2003).
IX. EVALUATION OF MY ANNUAL PERFORMANCE:
The Faculty Affairs Committee has been evaluating my annual performance and has continuously rated my overall performance as between “Very Good and Excellent!” since 1988 till the present.