Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
ECE 468: Computer Architecture (3-0-3)
Evolution of computers _ Design methodology: Design levels, design models - Memory system design: Cache and Virtual memories - Pipeline design techniques -
RISC architecture - Superscalar architecture - Vector computers - Introduction
to Multiprocessor systems.
Hennessy and Paterson, "Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware Software Interface, Second Edition, Morgan Kaufmann, 1997.
- (1) To teach students the basics of computer architecture.
- (2) To introduce students to fundamental concepts of memory system design.
- (3) To introduce students to fundamental concepts of pipeline design.
- (4) To introduce students to fundamental concepts of RISC and Superscalar processor design.
- (5) To introduce students to fundamental concepts of Parallel processing.
- Introductiont & CPU Performance Measures.
basic concepts, Performance measures.
- Memory System Design
General concepts, Cache memory, Virtual memory, Memory management, Performance issues.
- Integer and Floating Point Arithmetic.
basic concepts, Integer and floating point addition, Integer and floating point
- Pipeline Design Techniques.
Basic concepts, Instruction pipelines, Arithmetic pipelines, Pipelines hazards, Superscalar processors, Performance issues.
- Reduced Instruction Set Computers (RISCs).
basic concepts, Semantic gap, RISC philosophy and design aspects, Some RISC
examples, RISC versus CISC controversy.
- Parallel Archictectures.
General concepts, Array computers, MIMD machines, Programming and performance
issues, Interconnection Networks, Dynamic and Static networks, Performance issues.
20% Quizzes and Homeworks
15% Major Exam I (Tentatively scheduled during week 5)
15% Major Exam II (Tentatively scheduled during week 11)
10% Course Project
40% Final Exam (As scheduled by the Registrar)
ABET Category content:
Engineering Design: 2 credits or 67 %
Engineering Science: 1 credits or 33 %
Prepared by: Prof. Mostafa Abd-El-Barr.
Date: January 1999.