KING FAHD UNIVERSITY OF PETROLEUM & MINERALS
COLLEGE OF COMPUTER SCIENCES & ENGINEERING
COMPUTER ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
COE 390 Seminar
Instructor Dr. Adnan Gutub. Email: adnangutub 'at' gmail.com
1. To teach students the nature of engineering as a professional
2. To teach students the ethical and professional responsibility of engineering in the society
3. To improve students' technical and professional communication skills
4. To introduce students to different professional societies and organizations worldwide
Attendance and class participation: 30%
Attendance and reporting of two seminars: 10%
Attendance and reporting of one senior design project presentation: 5%
Preliminary presentation by the student: 15%
Final presentation by the student: 40%
Letter Grades will follow KFUPM Grade standard.
1. Bowyer, K. Ethics in Computing. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1996.
2. Johnson, D. Computer Ethics. Prentice-Hall, 1994.
3. Kizza, J. Ethical and Social Issues in the Information Age. Springer, 1997. 4. Kroehnert, G. Basic Preparation Skills. McGraw-Hill, 1999.
5. Qubein, N. How to be a great communicator: In Person, on Paper, and on the Podium. John Wiley & Sons, 1996.
Each student will select an article for presentation in the class. Articles should be related to computer engineering and should be 4 pages or more. Recent (last three years) issues of the IEEE, ACM or similar good publications may be used. Other sources may not be used except with the explicit approval of the instructor.
The deadline for selecting the articles is Sunday October 2nd, 2005.
Each student will be scheduled to give two presentations that will be evaluated by the instructor.
The first (preliminary) presentation will last 5 minutes, in which the student will describe briefly what topic he selected, and for what reason.
The second (final) presentation will last 10 minutes, in which the student will dispense the content of the selected article.
Useful Files: (complete folder)