1. Homogenous Catalysis. This area includes the production of various aldehydes, carboxylic acids, esters, unsaturated esters, unsaturated amides, unsaturated thioesters, and amines by using soluble transition metal catalysts in carbonylation reactions.
2. Heterogeneous Catalysis. A detail study on the use of inorganic supports such as Zeolites, mesoporous materials, clay, and others to impregnate rhodium, cobalt, palladium, heteropolyacids and other catalysts. The catalysts were tested in various important industrial processes such as hydroformylation, hydroaminomethylation, hydrocarboxylation and others.
3. Instrumentation Chemistry. The heterogeneous catalysts are analyzed by IR, XRD and ICP. The organic products are characterized by Gas Chromatography, NMR, GC-MS, elemental analysis. The products and the intermediates are analyzed by various techniques.
BOOK AND Book Chapters
1. Bassam El Ali and Howard Alper, “New Approaches to The Synthesis of Heterocycles by Transition Metal Catalysis”, in: “Transition Metal Catalyzed Reactions”, By S. Davies and S-I. Murahashi, 1999, pp. 261.
2. Bassam El Ali and Howard Alper, “Catalytic Hydrocarbonylation, Hydrocarboxylation and Related Reactions of p-Bonded Compounds”, in “Handbook of Organopalladium Chemistry for Organic Synthesis”, by E-I. Negishi, Wiley-VCH, New York, 2002, pp. 2333-2349.
3. Bassam El Ali, “Chemical hazards”. In “Laboratory Safety Manual at KFUPM”, By: M. Al-Haboubi, Bassam El Ali, K. Al-Nahdi, Z. Ahmad, O. Jannadi, 2001, pp.31-45.
4. M. Farhat Ali, Bassam El Ali, “Handbook of Industrial Chemistry: Organic Chemicals”; Publisher: McGraw-Hill Publisher, (Expected publishing date: 2005)
1. J-M. Brégeault, Bassam El Ali, J. Martin,
“ Method of preparing Aliphatic Carboxylic Acids ".
Eur. Pat. Appl. EP. 355,075 (1990).
2. J-M. Brégeault, Bassam El Ali, J. Martin,
“ Preparation of Aliphatic Carboxylic Acids by Oxidation of Monocyclic Ketones".
U.S. Patent 4, 983,767 (1991).
Research Funded projects