Refereed Journal Publications
N.D.Muazu M.H. Essa, Nabeel Jarrah (2017), “ Polyaspartate extraction of cadmium ions from contaminated soil: Evaluation and optimization using central composite design; Journal of Hazardous Materials; Volume 342, 15 January 2018, Pages 58-68
N.D.Muazu, Nabeel Jarrah and M.H. Essa (2017), “Binary Adsorption of Phenol and O-cresol from Aqueous Solution on Date Palm pits Based Activated Carbon: A Fixed-Bed Column Study”, Desalination and Water Treatment Journal, 58, PP. 192-201
N.D.Muazu, Mohammed Hussain Essa, Salihu Lukman, (2016) Scale-up of Hybrid Electrokinetic-Adsorption Technique for Removal of Heavy Metals from Contaminated Saline-Sodic Clay Soil; Journal of King Saud University: Engineering Sciences (Accepted).
Vohra, M.S; Al-Suwaiyan, M. Saleh; Essa, M.H. (2016), "Application of Solar Photocatalysis and Solar Phto-Fenton Processes for the Removal of Some Critical Charged Pollutants: MineralizationTrendsand Formation of Reaction Intermediates", Accepted at Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering (Published), ISI.
Hakimu Nsubuga; Chambasha Basheer; Mohannad M. Bushra; Mohammed H.Essa; (2016), Microwave-Assisted Digestion followed by parallel electromembrane extraction fpr Trace Level perchlorate detection in biological samples, Journal of Chromotography B; Volumes 1012–1013, Pages 1–7
Salihu Lukman, Nuhu Muazu, Mohammed Hussain Essa, and Usman Abdalla (2015), " Optimal Removal of Cadmium from Heavily Contaminated Saline–Sodic Soil Using Integrated Electrokinetic-Adsorption Technique", Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering (Published), ISI.
Mohammed H. Essa, Nuhu Dalhat Mu’azu, Salihu Lukman and A. Bukhari (2015), "Application of Box-Behnken Design to Hybrid Electrokinetic-Adsorption Removal of Mercury from Contaminated Saline-sodic Clay Soi", Soil and Sediment Contamination: An International Journal, DOI: 10.1080/15320382014.911720 (Published), ISI.
Salihu Lukman, Mohammed Hussain Essa, Nuhu Dalhat Mu’azu and Alaadin Bukhari (2014), "Coupled Electrokinetics-Adsorption Technique for Simultaneous Removal of Heavy Metals and Organics From Saline-Sodic Soil," The Scientific World Journal (published, ISI impact factor 73)
Mohammed Hussain Essa, Nuhu Dalhat Mu'azu, SALIHU LUKMAN and Alaadin Bukhari (2013), "Integrated Electrokinetics-Adsorption Remediation of Saline-Sodic Soils: Effects of Voltage Gradient and Contaminant Concentration on Soil Electrical Conductivity," Scientific World Journal (published). (ISI Impact Factor: 730)
S. Lukman, M.H.Essa, Nuhu Muazu, A. Bukhari and C. basher (2013), “Adsorption and Desorption of Heavy Metals onto natural Clay Material: Influence of Initial pH”, Journal of Environmental Science & Technology, 6 (1), pp.1-15
Essa, M.H. Al-Zahrani (2013), M.A, Optimization of activated carbon production from date pits using response surface methodology technique, Int. J. Environmental Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 3, 2013
M. Saleem and Mohammed H. Essa (2012), An Economical Means for Remediating a Multiple-Metal Contaminated Soil Using Electro-Kinetic Technology under Natural Conditions, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 7 (2012) 7809 – 7822
Muhammad Saleem, Essa, M.H. (2010), Suitability for sustainable reuse of secondary effluent: A Case study in Saudi Arabia, NED Journal of research, Volume: VII, No: 1, PP: 23-34
Essa, M.H, Al-Zahrani, M.A (2009), Date pits as potential raw materials for the production of active carbons in Saudi Arabia, International Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences, Volume 4, number 1, pp.47-58.
Al-Zahrani, M.A, Nesaratnam, S.T, Essa, M.H (2005), Preparation of phosphoric acid-activated carbon using palm date pits: physio-chemical and adsorptive properties; the journal of the institution of engineers, Singapore, vol. 46 (2), pp. 24-4
Al-Malack, M.H., Abu Zaid, N.F., Bukhari, A., Essa, M.H.(2002), Characterization, Utilization and disposal of municipal sludge: The State of-the-Art, published in AJSE, vol. 27 (1B), pp. 3-27.
Essa, M.H., Farouq, S. (1997), Simulation of in-situ bioremediation of phenol contaminated sandy aquifer. 1-Effect of sand size; Water, Air and Soil Pollution Journal, vol 87, pp. 267-281
Essa, M.H., Farouq, S., Nakhla, F.G.(1997), Simulation of in-situ bioremediation of phenol contaminated sandy aquifer. 2-Effect of phenol concentration; Water, Air and Soil Pollution Journal, vol 87, pp. 283-295
Essa, M.H., Farouq, S. (1997), Effect of biofilm on the physical properties of sands contaminated with phenol.; Journal of Env. Sci. and Health, Part-A, vol 32, Issue 4, pp. 1109-112
Abu Zaid, N.F., Al-Malack, M.H., Essa, M.H.(2000), Effects of dissolved oxygen in surfactant treatment on the sorptive capacity of local soil. Journal of Env. Sci. and Health, Part-A, vol 35 (3), pp. 263-280
Abu Zaid, N.F., Bukhari, A., Essa, M.H. (1999), Electrochemical treatment of nitrite using stainless steel electrodes. Water, Air and Soil Pollution Journal, vol.109 (1-4), pp.429-442
PAPERS IN CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS
Nuhu Dalhat Mu’azu, and Muhammad Hussain Essa (2017). Oxidation pathways during electrochemical treatment of phenolic wastewater using Boron-Doped Diamond Electrodes, International Conference on Water, Energy and Environment (ICWEE 2017), 28 February-March 2, 2017 at The American University of sharjah, UAE.
Nuhu Dalhat Mu’azu, and Muhammad Hussain Essa (2017). Treatrment bof Wastewater using Sludge-Based activated Carbon: A sustainable Sludge Managemenmt Strategy in KSA , International Conference on Water, Energy and Environment (ICWEE 2017), 28 February-March 2, 2017 at The American University of sharjah, UAE.
Ahmad Alkhousa, Waleed Al Afif, Nuhu Dalhat Mu’azu and Mohammad H Essa (2017), “Solar Based Tertiary Effluent Treatment for Agricultural Reuse: Towards Sustainable Water
Management in Saudi Arabia”, 5th Water Arabia, October 17-19, 2017, Al-Khobar, Saudi Artabia
Nuhu Dalhat Mu’azu, Abdullahi Usman, A. Bukhari and Muhammad Hussain Essa and Salihu Lukman (2015). Electrokinetic Removal of Mixed Heavy Metals from Contaminated Clay Soils Using pulsed electrokinetic process; 14th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology (CEST2015); Reference #: CEST2015_01423 (ISI)
Nuhu Dalhat Mu’azu, M. H. Essa and Salihu Lukman; (2015); Pilot Scale Removal of Heavy Metals from Sodic-Saline Clay Soil Using Hybrid Electrokinetic-Adsorption Technique; CEST-2015, Rhodes, Greece; Reference #: CEST2015_01331(ISI)
M.H. Essa, N.D. Muazu, S. LUKMAN and A. Bukhari (2013), "Integrated Electrokinetics-Adsorption Remediation of Saline-Sodic Soils and Groundwater: Effects of Voltage Gradient and Polarity Reversal," 17th International Water Technology Conference (IWTC-2013), Istanbul-Turkey 5 - 7 November 201 (Presented)
4. LUKMAN, S., Essa, M.H., Mu'azu N.D., and Bukhari A. (2013), “Integrated Electrokinetics-Adsorption Remediation for Simultaneous Removal of Heavy Metals and Organics from Saline-Sodic Soil: Effects of Voltage Gradient on the Processing Fluids,” Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Environment, Chemistry and Biology (ICECB 2013), December 13-14, 2013 Stockholm, Sweden. (ISI-Indexed Conference Proceedings)
5. Lukman S., Essa M. H., Nuhu Dalhat Mu'azu and Bukhari A. (2013), "Coupled Electro-kinetic-Adsorption Technique for Simulatnoues Removal of Heavy Metals and Organics Pollutant from Saline-Alkaline Soil," 13th international Conference on Environmental Science and technology, 5-7th September 2013, Athens Greece. (Accepted)
6) N.M.Dalhat, S.Lukman, M.H.Essa, M.S. Al-Suwaiyan (2013), “Challenges in the Electrokinetic Remediation of Natural Saudi Arabian Soil for Agriculture: Effect of Sodicity”, Presented at
The world environment day symposium, Jubail, June 5th 201
7) M.S.Al-Suwaiyan, M.M.Rahman and M.H.Essa; “Experimental Investigation of Free Hydrocarbon Recovery in Layered Porous Media”, Houston, Usa on 25-29 June 201
8) Muhammad Saleem, Mohammed Hussain Essa (2012)” Quality Assessment of Malir River in Term of Trace Metal Contamination”, presented at International conference on energy, environment & sustainable development, 2012, 27-29 February, 201
9) Vohra, M.S; Essa, M.H. (2010), 'Synthetic industrial wastewater treatment using GAC produced from date palm tree branches' , presented at Chemindex 2010, 18-20 October, Bahrain.
10) Vohra, M.S; Al-Zahrani, Muhammad, Essa, M.H. (2010), Granular activated carbon from date palm branches: production & uses. Presented at 4th Saudi science conference, al-medina al-munawara, 12-16 March 2010.
11) Muhammad Saleem, Essa, M.H. (2009), Production of sodium hypochlorite disinfectant from seawater in power industry using electrochemical process, presented at 1st international conference on energy & environment, Quaid-e-Awam University of Engineering, Science & Technology, Nawabashah, Pakistan 26-28
12) MuhituRahman Mohammed, Essa, M.H., Al-Zahrani Mohammed (2008), Water quality Factors of Storm Runoff at Two watersheds in Saudi Arabia: A comparative Evaluation, accepted for presentation in the 3rd International Conference for Water Resources and Arid Environment 2008, Riyadh 16-19 November.
13) Al-Suwaiyan, M., Ishaq, A.M., Essa, M.H., Saleem, M. (2006), Assessment of the status of USTs at service stations in Eastern Saudi Arabia", accepted for presentation in the Fourth Saudi Technical Conference & Exhibition, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
14) Saleem, M., Essa, M.H. (2006), Stabilization of domestic sewage sludge with CKD to be used as fertilizer, accepted in “International Conference on Agricultural Engineering: February 16-18, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan
15) Al-Suwaiyan, M., Ishaq, M., Essa, M.H., Saleem, M. (2005), Effluent Quality Enhancement through Tertiary Treatment. Accepted and presented in Water Science & Technology Association, 6th Gulf Water Conference, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
16) Essa, M.H., Al-Zahrani, M.A., Nesaratnam, S. (2004), Investigation on the adsorption characteristics of activated carbon from date pits, accepted and presented in Al-Azhar Engineering Eighth International Conference, December 24-27, Cairo, Egypt.
17) Essa, M.H., Al-Zahrani, M.A., Nesaratnam, S. (2004), A step towards national reliance using locally produced activated carbon from dates, accepted and presented in the Third Saudi Technical Conference & Exhibition, December 11-15, (Refereed), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
18) Abu Zaid, N.F., Bukhari, A., Essa, M.H (1999), Pretreatment of domestic wastewater in an electrochemical cell; presented at the 5th Saudi Engineering Conference., Jeddah.
19) Abu Zaid, N.F., Bukhari, A., Essa, M.H (1997), Treatment of fisheries wastewater by electrochemical oxidation.; Doha Int. Conf. On Env. Control and Protection, Doha.
CITED PAPERS (Scopus)
Essa, M.H., Farouq, S., and
Nakhla, G.F. Simulation of in-situ bioremediation of phenol contaminated sandy
aquifers: Effect of phenol concentration
1996, Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, (1-4) 283-295------7 times
2) Essa, M.H., Farouq, S., and Nakhla, G.F.Simulation of in-situ bioremediation of phenol contaminated sandy aquifers: Effect of sand sizes 1996, Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, (1-4) 267-281------ 5 times
3) Essa, M.H; Farouq, S., and Nakhla, G.F. Effect of biofilm on the physical properties of sands contaminated with phenol 1997, Journal of Environmental Science and Health - Part A Toxic/Hazardous Substances and Environmental Engineering, (4) 1109-1123----- 5 times
4) Abuzaid, S.N; Bukhari, A.A, and Essa, M.H. Electrochemical treatment of nitrite using stainless steel electrodes, 1999, Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, (1-4) 429-442------5 times
5) Abuzaid, S.N; G.F.Nakhla, and Essa, M.H. Effects of dissolved oxygen and surfactant treatment on the sorptive capacity of a local soil for phenol, 2000, Journal of Environmental Science and Health - Part A Toxic/Hazardous Substances and Environmental Engineering, (3) 263-280--------3 times
Reviewed Papers & Projects.
1) Journal of water Science & Technology: " Parameters affecting performance of electrocoagulation technique for wastewater treatment: A review. Reviewed in February 201
2) Journal of the Chemical Society of Pakistan: “ Biofouling management in the cooling circuit of a power industry using electrochemical process”, May 2010.
3) International Journal of Environmental Engineering: “defluoridation of drinking water using metal embedded biocarbon technology”, April 2010.
4) KACST- Funded Project: “Treatment and reuse of mosque grey-water”, March 2010.
5) Journal of Engineering Sciences, KSU: “Plastic water hammer damper”, February 2010.
6) Technical Review of Water and Groundwater resources for Ma’adan Company, May 2010.