UNIVERSITY, DEPARTMENT AND PUBLIC SERVICE
In addition to short courses, consultation activities and public lectures listed above, that have benefited the Highway Engineering community, I have participated in several standing and ad-hoc committees as follows:
1 University/College Committees
1. Bids and Tenders Committee:
I have served in this committee three times. The major role of this committee is to look into major purchase requests and approve/disapprove these requests. The committee work, quite often, requires the formation of subcommittees to evaluate requests and may require site visits. I have chaired and participated in a number of these subcommittees.
2. Library Committee:
I have served in this committee once. The principal task of this committee is to look after the University Library and usually chaired by the Dean of Library Affairs.
3. Promotion Committees:
The Dean of Engineering formed these committees for the promotion of engineering faculty from assistant professor rank to associate professor rank. I have chaired one and participated in two others.
4. Chairman of an ad-hoc committee formed by the Rector of the University to evaluate paving work in the University. I was also involved in an ad-hoc committee for the repair of the main University stadium.
5. Member of Traffic Safety Committee:
This committee was formed to study, evaluate and advise about university streets design, marking and signing, main gate control and signalization, and roads and parking lots safety aspects in the University.
2 Departmental Committees
I have also served in a number of departmental committees, which include:
1. Departmental Activities Committee: I have served in this committee four times. The objective of this committee is to enhance departmental activities among Civil Engineering department faculty and other departments faculty, and among faculty and students. The committee has organized a number of events and social gatherings.
2. Textbook Committee: I have served in this committee once. The major role of this committee is to check the availability of text books for courses that will be offered in the following semesters, process new text books requests, and evaluate new subscriptions by the University Library.
3. Civil Eng. Lab Coordinators: I have served in this committee four times as the coordinator for the “Highway Laboratory”. The major role of this committee is to look after the laboratory needs and for ways and means to improve the work and safety procedures in civil engineering laboratories.
In this regard, I have managed, with the support of the University, to develop the Civil Engineering Highway Laboratory from a simple testing facility for Marshall mix design in 1985 to one of the most advanced pavement materials research laboratories in the Kingdom and Middle East in 1993.
4. Undergraduate Committee: The objective of this committee is to evaluate and upgrade the undergraduate courses and curriculum. I have served twice in this committee.
5. Graduate Committee: The objective of this committee is to evaluate and upgrade the graduate curriculum. I have served three times in this committee.
6. Graduate Admissions Committee: The objective of this committee is to evaluate students’ applications for graduate studies. I have served three times in this committee as a representative of the transportation group.
Moreover, I have served in a number of other committees which include:
7. Computer Utilization Committee; (twice).
8. Research Committee; (once).
9. Heavy Laboratory Committee; (ad‑hoc).
Consultation to Riyadh and Dammam Municipalities, Ministry of Transport, SCECO-East, Royal Commission and Saudi Aramco.