King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals
Pavement Materials (2-3-3)
The nature, engineering characteristics, and selection of materials for highway and airport pavements; composition, physical behavior, production and performance of bituminous materials and mixtures; concrete mixes for rigid pavements; durability of concrete and asphalt mixes; polymer materials and additives; recent developments in pavement materials.
Prerequisite: Graduate Standing or Consent of the Instructor
This course is designed for graduate students with background in highway engineering, civil engineering materials, and the fundamentals of engineering mechanics. The students shall be introduced to basic aspects of pavement materials properties, selection, design and characterization procedures. Recent techniques adopted for material characterization and performance evaluation are emphasized.
Hot-mix Asphalt Materials, Mixture Design and Construction, by Roberts et al., 2nd ed., 1996
1. Introduction, asphalt refining, uses, Properties and Specifications (5 Hrs)
2. Aggregates production, uses, Properties and Specifications (5 Hrs)
3. Hot mix asphalt mixture design methodology (6 Hrs)
First Midterm 20%
4. Characterization of asphalt mixtures (6 Hrs)
5. Equipment and construction (5 Hrs)
6. Material variability, statistical concepts, quality control/quality assurance (Qc/Qa) procedures. (4 Hrs)\
Second Midterm 20%
7. Special mixtures, recycling, and additives (4 Hrs)
8. Performance/distress of HMA (6 Hrs)
9. Maintenance, rehabilitation, and reconstruction of HMA (5 Hrs)
Final Exam 35 %
Extensive laboratory work covering pavement material testing and evaluation is required to meet course project requirement and familiarize students with current state of laboratory testing.
In general, two (one-hour) exams will be given in addition to the Final. The final will carry 35% of the total grade while each one-hour exam will carry 20% each.
A. Attendance and participation in class . 5%
B. Homeworks . 10%
C. - First Midterm .. 20%
- Second Midterm .. 20%
D. Term project / Paper 10 %
E. Final Exam . 35%
Prepared by: Professor Hamad I. Al-Abdul Wahhab