Statics Evaluation & Testing of Concrete
Structural Mechanics I Advanced Structural Analysis
Structural Analysis Structural Stability
Reinforced Concrete I Advanced Reinforced Concrete
Reinforced Concrete II Prestressed Concrete
Structural Mechanics II Behavior and Design of Steel Structures
Steel Design I Analysis of Bridge Systems
Steel Design II Limit State Design of Concrete Structures
· Contributed to the development of a new laboratory through own design and supervision.
· Principal Designer for the Immersed Tube Tunnel in Hong Kong.
· Developed the interest in bridges in the CE Dept. by developing new graduate courses, short courses, training programs and major research.
· Developed the lab and interest in NDT for concrete structures.
· Lead Technical Editor for the Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering’s theme issue “Corrosion and Prevention”.
· Technical Editor for the Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering’s theme issue “Concrete Repair, Rehabilitation and Protection”.
· Member of the Organizing Committee for the symposium “Performance of Concrete Structures in the Arabian Gulf Environment”.
· Organized a CE Open-day for a joint industry-department co-operation to advance the departmental research.
· Editor for 3 years for the College of Engineering News Letter.
· Contributed to the development of full scale load testing facilities and expertise in the department.
· Nominated best researcher from the CE Dept. for the best researcher academic year 1985‑86.
· Recipient of the best researcher award from the College of Engineering Science for the academic year 1987‑88.
· Nominated for the research excellence award from CE Dept. for the year 1989-90.
· Nominated for the best teacher award from the CE Dept., 1994-95.
· Nominated for the best teacher award from the CE Dept., 1995-96.
· Best performing CE faculty for the year 2001-2002.
· Chairman of the editorial committee for the Research Highlights magazine of the University, 1999-2001.
· Organizer of the workshop “Teaching Courses Incorporating Projects: Facing the Challenge”, 1998.
· Member of the committee to develop Faculty Handbook for KFUPM.
· Board member for the local chapter of ACI, (ACI-SAC EP), 1999-contd.
· Member of the Advisory Committee for the Conference CIVIL-COMP 85, CIVIL-COMP 87.
· Member of the Committee on Flexural Members (Metal), Am. Society of Civil Engrs., 1983-85.
‑ Developed and offered the following short courses:
(1) Analysis and Design of Highway Bridges (Coordinator and Lecturer). Offered in 1984 and 1985.
(2) Insitu Nondestructive Testing of Concrete (Coordinator and Lecturer). Offered in 1987.
(3) Inspection, Assessment and Maintenance of Concrete Structures (Coordinator & Lecturer), 1994.
(4) Inspection, Assessment and Repair of Concrete Structures (Coordinator & Lecturer), 2001.
(5) Crack-Controlled Design of Concrete Structures (Coordinator & Lecturer), 2002.
(6) Developed a special training program for a group of engineers on “Bridge Engineering, Inspection and Maintenance” (Coordinator & Lecturer), 1992.
‑ Participated as Lecturer in the following short courses:
(1) Problems of Concrete Repair (Lecturer), (1986, 1987).
(2) Design, Evaluation and Repair of Concrete Bridges (Lecturer), (1986).
(3) Problems of Concreting and Concrete Durability in Saudi Arabia (Lecturer), (1986).
(4) Prestressed Concrete Design (Lecturer). Offered in 1986.
(5) Building Maintenance (Lecturer). Offered in 1992, 1993, 1994.
(6) Repair and Rehabilitation of Concrete Structures (ACI-SAC) Short Course (Lecturer), (1994).
(7) Earthquake Engineering (Lecturer), (1994, 2002).
(8) Protection of Reinforced Concrete Structures (Lecturer), (1995, 1997, 1999).
(9) Materials and Their Impact on Concrete Failures (Lecturer), (2000, 2001, 2002).
(10) Analysis and Design of Structures Using STAAD III (2000, 2001).
i) Optimization of Homogeneous I‑Beams (1977).
ii) Optimization of I‑Shapes (1981).
iii) Buckling of Multiple Braced Columns (1981).
iv) Development of Building Materials Using Locally Available Resources (1982, 83, 84, 85).
v) A Study of Cracking of Bridge Decks in Saudi Arabia (1985, 86, 87).
vi) Fracture Characterization of Reinforced Concrete Beams (1986).
vii) Invited Keynote speaker on ‘Highway Bridges’ at the Third IRF Middle East Regional Meeting, Riyadh, Feb. 1988.
viii) A Diagnostic Study of Failure of Concrete Bridges in Saudi Arabia. ASCE‑SAS Meeting, July 1991.
ix) A Study of the Performance of Cathodic Protection of Concrete Bridges in Eastern Saudi Arabia ‑ Dammam Chamber of Commerce, 1992.
‑ Attended over 25 conferences to present papers (see list of Conference publications).
‑ Chairman of a session on Plates in CIVIL‑COMP 85 Conf. in London, Nov. 1985.
‑ Chairman of the session on Slab Analysis and Design, CIVIL‑COMP 87, London, Sept. 1987.
‑ Chairman of the session on Micro‑Computer Aided Structural Design, CIVIL‑COMP 87, London, Sept. 1987.
‑ Chairman of the session XI, Symposium on Concrete and Concrete Structures in the Middle East, Riyadh, April 25‑29, 1987.
- Chairman of the Session E-3 on Concrete and Structures II, Third Asian-Pacific Conf. on Computational Mechanics, APCOM-96, Seoul, Sept. 18-20, 1996.
- Chairman of a session on Performance of Concrete Structures in the Arabian Gulf, KFUPM Symposium, 1997.
1) Reviewed several technical papers for possible publication in the Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering.
2) Reviewed technical papers for publication in Engineering Optimization and Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering.
3) Reviewed several research proposals and progress reports for funded projects on behalf of the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, Riyadh.
4) Reviewer of several papers for Second Saudi Engg. Conference, 1985.
5) Reviewer of papers for Third IRF Regional Meeting in Riyadh, 1988.
6) Reviewer for conference papers for “The First Intl. Conf. on Reinforced Concrete Materials in Hot Climate”, UAE, 1994.
7) Lead Technical Editor for the theme issue “Corrosion and Its Prevention”, Arabian Journal for Science and Engg., 1993‑95.
8) Technical Editor for the theme issue “Concrete Repair, Rehabilitation and Protection”, Arabian Journal for Science and Engg., 1996‑98.
(a) Principal Investigator for the following funded Research Projects :
(1) Optimization of I‑shapes
- Funded by KFUPM under CE/STRUCTURE/32
Basically seeking optimum I‑shapes for various structure members.
Duration: 2 years; Budget: SR 36,000.
(2) Buckling of Multiple Braced Columns
‑ Funded by KFUPM under CE/STRUCTURE/33
An experimental investigation to determine buckling loads.
Duration: 2 years; Budget: SR 40,000.
(3) Fracture Characterization of Reinforced Concrete
- Funded by King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) under AR7‑130.
Fracture Study, both theoretical and experimental of reinforced concrete beams.
Duration: 2 years; Budget: SR 220,000.
(4) Development of Truck Loading for Short Span Highway Bridges in Saudi Arabia
- Funded by King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) under AR15-64.
Development of truck loads based on modelling of actual truck load data from a broad survey.
Duration: 2½ years; Budget: SR 440,700.
(5) Chloride Diffusion and Prediction of Corrosion of Reinforcement in Microsilica Concrete: Funded by SABIC, Duration 1½ years, Budget: SR 36,500.
(6) Development of an Improved Protection System for CCP Construction: CER 2264, Funded by Ameron Saudi Arabia, Budget SR 200,000, Duration 18 months.
(7) Prediction of Residual Strength of Corrosion-damaged RC Beams (SABIC-2002/2), Budget SR 45,000, Duration 1½ years.
(8) A Study of Relationship between Permeability and Tortuosity of Concrete (ARI-016), Funded by RI, Budget SR 70,000, Duration 1 year.
(b) Co‑Investigator for the following Research Projects :
(1) Development of Building and Construction Materials Using Available Resources in Saudi Arabia (Phase I)
‑ Funded by King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) under AR4‑BLDG.
An extensive study on the development of construction materials.
Duration: 3 years; Budget: SR 5 million.
(2) A Study of Cracking of Concrete Bridge Decks in Saudi Arabia
‑ Funded by King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) under a National Project.
An elaborate study of various causes of cracking, both structural and nonstructural and the effect of punching shear under high repetitive loads.
Duration: 3 years; Budget: SR 2.6 million.
(3) Evaluation of Cathodic Protection System for Concrete Bridge Decks in Saudi Arabia
‑ Funded by KACST; Duration: 2 yrs; Budget: SR 220,000.
A study of the performance of Cathodic Protection System as corrosion inhibitor for concrete bridge decks in the hot, aggressive environment of Eastern Region, through both laboratory and actual field monitoring.
(4) An Assessment of the Deterioration of the SAMA Building in Dammam
- Funded by SAMA; Duration: 6 months; Budget: SR 150,000.
A study of the concrete durability problems facing the building.
(5) Concrete Durability Research Study
- Funded by ARAMCO (90079); Duration: 2 yrs; Budget: over SR 1 million.
A study of the various repair schemes and repair materials through an extensive laboratory and performance based studies.
(6) Study of Cracking in Building at Al-Yamamah Hunter Project
- Funded by Saudi Navy; Duration: 6 months; Budget: SR 140,000.
A study of the cracking of the foundation beams.
(7) Investigation of the Causes of Settlement of Floor Slabs in Station # 24 & Building # 25 (CER 1263), Funded by KFUPM, Budget SR 90,000, Duration 6 months.
(8) Galvanic Cathodic Protection for Restored Concrete Elements (CER 2246), Funded by Saudi Aramco, Budget SR 150,000, Duration 2 years.
(c) Other Funded Projects Co‑Investigator :
(1) Testing of Cold‑Rolled Z‑Perlins, supported by Al‑Zamil Steel Co., Dammam; Budget SR 20,000.
(2) Buckling Tests of Light Gage Columns of Channel Sections, supported by Al‑Zamil Steel Co., Dammam; Budget SR 30,000.
(3) Durability of Concrete Structures and Testing of Soil Samples in the Aziziyah Housing Project; Budget SR 60,000.
(4) Load Testing and Evaluation of Jamarat Bridge, supported by Bin Laden Co. and Ministry of Communication, Riyadh; Budget SR 800,000.
(1) Investigation of concrete cracking in boiler house of Riyadh Hospital (1985) (Report submitted).
(2) Aziziyah Housing Project ‑ Concrete durability (1987) (Report submitted).
(3) Cracking of Concrete in Foundation Beams of PETROMIN Tanks ‑ PETROMIN (1987) (Report submitted).
(4) Consultant to MOC (Riyadh) for problems in bridges.
(5) An assessment of the deterioration of a building in Dammam.
(6) An assessment of the structural modification of a building in Dammam.
(7) Design of a bridge in Aziziyah.
(8) Inspection of a bridge in Jeddah for Saudi Aramco.
Major Advisor for the following M.S. Theses :
(1) Analysis of Continuous Plates by Finite Difference Method (1977).
(2) Analysis of Short Span Highway Bridges (1978).
(3) Economic Proportioning of Continuous I‑Beams (1978).
(4) A Study of Development and Performance of Sulphur‑Based Construction Blocks (1982).
(5) Buckling of Multiple Braced Columns (1982).
(6) Minimum Weight Design of Nonuniform Steel I‑Girders and Columns (1983).
(7) Flexural Behavior of Reinforced Sulphur Concrete Beams (1985).
(8) Static Analysis of Horizontally Curved Bridge Decks Supported by Flexible Multi‑girders (1985).
(9) Progressive Fracture of Reinforced Deck Slab in Girder‑Slab Type Bridge Deck (1987).
(10) Estimation of Concrete Strength by Combined Nondestructive Method in the Eastern Region of Saudi Arabia (1987).
(11) Analysis of Horizontally Curved Pseudo‑Slab Type Bridge Decks Supported by Discrete Pier Supports (1988).
(12) Load Induced Cracking and Failure of Concrete Deck Slabs in Girder‑Slab Type Bridges (1989).
(13) Optimization of Continuous Post-tensioned Bridge Decks of Prescribed Lengths (1995).
(14) A Study of the Development of Vehicular Loading for Design of Highway Bridges in Saudi Arabia (1997).
(15) Optimization of Parabolic Steel Box Arches (1997).
Co‑Advisor for the following M.S. Theses :
(1) Sulphur Infiltrated Concrete Box Sections with Styrene Core as Panel Units (1983).
(2) Material and Fracture Characterization of Sisal‑Fibre Reinforced Concrete (1985).
(3) Influence of Cracks on the Elastic Stability of Columns and Frames (1985).
(4) Fracture Characteristics of Reinforced Concrete Beams (at McGill Univ. during Sabbatical, 1986).
(5) Mixed Mode Fracture for Concrete (1987).
(6) Fracture Characteristics of Thermally Degraded Concrete (1988).
(7) A Refined Theory for Symmetric Orthotropic Laminated Plates (1988).
(8) Fracture Modelling of Reinforced Concrete Beams in Mode I Crack (1990).
(9) Chloride Diffusion in Concrete/Prediction of the Onset of Corrosion in Reinforced Concrete Structures (1994).
(10) Assessment of Problems Facing Maintenance Industry in Saudi Arabia (1994).
(11) Boundary Element Analysis of Non-prismatic Beams and Plates (1995).
Member of Thesis Examining Committee :
(1) Analysis of Cylindrical Shell with Deep Edge Beams Under Hydrostatic Loading (1977).
(2) Influence of Transverse Normal Strain on Finite, Simply Supported Isotropic and Orthotropic Plates (1983).
(3) Corrosion of Reinforcing Steel in Sulphur Concrete (1985).
(4) Use of Latex Modified Concrete as Bridge Deck Overlays (1988).
(5) Performance of Epoxy Repaired Concrete Under Thermal Cycling (1988).
(6) Optimum Design of Continuous Partially Prestressed Concrete Beams (1991).
(7) Deterioration of Concrete Structures in the Coastal Region of the Republic of Yemen (1993).
(8) Assessment of Problems Facing Maintenance Industry in Saudi Arabia (1994).
(9) Analysis of Static and Dynamic Characteristics of Two-Cell Steel Box Girders (1998).
(1) A Generalized Theory for Bending of Isotropic Thick Rectangular Plates (co‑advisor, 1989).
(2) Nonlinear Finite Element Modelling of R/C Slabs (co‑advisor, 1991).
(3) Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Beams Repaired by Plate Bonding (member, 1992).
(4) Elastic and Plastic Analysis of Semi-rigid Steel Frames (Advisor, 1998).
(5) Simulation and Assessment of Concrete Repair System (member, 1999).
(6) Elasto-Damage Fatigue Modelling of RC Beams Strengthened by CFRP (member, 2000).